If you know Marc outside of this blog then you knew that it was Marc’s 32nd birthday last week and we spent the weekend celebrating. By Sunday night we were all partied out, but something was missing…birthday cake!
Marc loves apple desserts…and when I say love, I am not kidding. He loves apple pie, apple crumble, apple everything. So, I thought, why not try an apple cake?!
Of course we served it warm and with vanilla frozen yogurt!
- 1-1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (the original recipe calls for a 1/2 cup, but I don’t think you need much, if any at all. Marc disagrees, so we settled on a 1/4 cup)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (or any plain yogurt)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1-2 apples – the more apple the moister the cake. I would start with 1 and add as needed (organic preferred)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
Preheat oven at 350 degrees F.
Grease a square 9 x 9 inch baking dish (I used a round one and things were a bit tight, but it still worked). Set aside.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar (if you are using it), baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon.
In a smaller bowl, combine Greek yogurt, maple syrup, vegetable oil and apple sauce. Then mix the dry ingredients.
Add apple to the mixture. Do not over-mix.
Pour ingredients into the pan.
Combine all topping ingredients and spread over the cake with a fork.
Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
You may of noticed the beginnings of Marc’s moustache in the above photo. Marc has decided to take part in Movember this year, if you’re interested, visit his page and donate!